A BRIEF INTRO
Nuclear Engineering can be termed as one of the most controversial domain of study and it also carries a fair amount of life-risk also attributing to its uncontrollable nature. In this stream of engineering, we study about harnessing the power of Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission to generate power that can be very cheap and continuous without depending on non-renewable sources of energy like Coal. Here the student studies multiple subjects particularly physics, chemistry and maths etc. He handles the functioning and maintenance of a nuclear reactor. Career prospects are in organization like NPCI(Nuclear Power Corporation of India), BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre), RRCAT(Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology) and also in private sector big guns which are involved in energy & allied fields like L&T, BHEL and Tata Energy
TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE
Since a nuclear plant has to function 24-hrs so it has shift cycles. A nuclear engineer can perform various tasks during his shift which are not limited to the following
- Testing of all the relevant equipments
- Controlling the functioning of the reactor as per instructions from the top
- Most important duty is to control the sustained chain reaction core.
During training he can earn around Rs. 15-20000 a month perks as per company policy
Salary during permanent Job can vary from 20-50000 pm. Typically, nuclear scientists and engineers are paid 25% extra than their peers from other streams considering the danger involved in this profession. Various incentives are also provided depending upon the job position and experience of the candidate.
- Scientific temperament
- Interest in experimental work; manual tasks
- Analytical and quantitative DESIRED QUALITIES
HOW DO I GET THERE ?
- Opt for science with physics and maths at the plus-two level during your schooling. If you want to get admission into prestigious M.Tech programme conducted by Delhi Univerisity with specialisation in nuclear science and related technologies, then the eligibility is B.tech or B.Sc with physics and maths as main subjects. Further you also have to clear the entrance test and interview.More details on http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in
- BARC and NPCIL have training schools for fresh inductees.Those offering full-fledged degrees in this discipline include:
- MTech from DU – du.ac.in
- IIT Kanpur, MTech www.iitk.ac.in
PROS AND CONS
- Exciting work
- Foreign job options
- Risk of overexposure to radioactive material
You might be posted at a plant in a faraway place