A BRIEF INTRO
Mechanical engineering is about the design, analysis, manufacture and maintenance of machines and their components. Its sub-divisions are: a) production; b) design of mechanical equipment; c) thermal and fluid science
TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE
The main tasks to be undertaken by a Mechanical Engineer can be classifieds in numerous heads because there are n number of mechanical challenges being faced by them.
Their work starts early in the morning with departmental meetings in which they are briefed about the problems or issues pending from the previous day.
They discuss the issues with their team and draw plans to overcome that nag. Ample resources are at their disposal like computer hardware & software, internet support, technical team and management’s go ahead.
They have to constantly visit the labs monitoring various tasks being undertaken by the juniors etc.
Entry-level salaries range from Rs. 1.3 lakh to Rs. 3.15 lakh a year. Your performance and any additional DESIRED QUALITIES you acquire in due course of time will decide your promotions and increments. A mechanical engineer with around 5 year’s work experience makes about Rs. 2.2 lakh to Rs. 5.3 lakh a year and still it depends upon which company you are in.
- Affinity for machinery
- Problem-solving attitude; analytical DESIRED QUALITIES
- Innovative approach
- Team spirit
- Physical stamina
HOW DO I GET THERE ?
After XII in science (Physics-chemistry-maths), do a 3-year diploma course at a polytechnic. You can also go for advance degree courses like that from IME (the Institution of Mechanical Engineers) which provide courses like Technician Engineering and other associated examinations. Clearing this exam entails you to get a degree or diploma. The Institution of Engineering (India), too, undertakes such an examination. Getting the best jobs depends on the market value’ of your degree
- IIT, Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Madras, Roorkee, and other cities http://jee.iitd.ac.in/
- Banaras Hindu University itbhu.ac.in
- ISM University, Dhanbad ismdhanbad.ac.in
- BITS, Pilani bits-pilani.ac.in
- National Institutes of Technology, Tiruchirapalli, Warangal
- nitt.edu, nitw.ac.in etc.
PROS AND CONS
- Job openings available in many different industries
- Your work may contribute to the society in form of improved machines which may help in easing the life and preventing the environment degradation
- Could face high temperature or noise levels at work