WHAT’S IT ABOUT ?
Financial analysts help investors decide where to put in their wealth. Analysts information from certain investment tools they follow and apply their analytical expertise to assess their prospects and investments potential. For instance, an equity analyst in a KPO does primary research by using/talking to different sources such as management and investor relations managers of companies, industry experts, and regulatory bodies. He then writes reports for clients like banks, brokerage houses. These professionals work as analysts, portfolio managers, traders, accountants/auditors, investment bankers, fund managers, CEO/partner/principal / CIO and CFO. Generally, they are: Equity analyst in sell side (with broker-dealer) or buy side (mutual funds, insurance companies, pension funds etc); credit analyst, rating analyst (with a rating agency), structured product analyst, risk analyst (mainly with banks)
9-9:30 am: Analyse the impact of international markets’ performance (last night) on the local market. Decide whether to change portfolios
10 am: Interact with financial analysts to decide where to invest
3:30 pm: Lunch
4 pm: Analyse portfolio performance
5p m: Meeting with boss
8-9 pm: Go home
Pay levels go from low to very high. The salary for fresh CFAs is about Rs. 4 lakh a year. A fund manager’s take-home can be a crore-plus annually. Analysts may become head of research or eventually become fund manager or go into general management, but the latter is not always popular among analysts. There are not many general management path options for research analysts, and many high-profile analysts prefer to continue to focus on their expertise areas rather than switch to people management.
- Background in accountancy and working knowledge of maths
- Good analytical skills
- Interest in financial investment
HOW DO I GET THERE ?
- You need a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent or four years’ relevant professional experience to enroll for the US-based CFA Institute’s exams. ICFAI University, on the other hand, asks for only a UG degree for its two-year programme. It also offers a one-year accelerated track for CAs, CWAs, CSs and certain MBAs (finance)
INSTITUTES & URLS
- CFA Institute (USA) cfainstitute.org
- ICFAI University iutripura.edu.in, www.icfai.org matter under litigation
PROS AND CONS
- Financially rewarding
- Intellectually interesting
- High pressure job, tight deadlines
- Competitive work
- Long work hours and extensive (PC) screen exposure