WHAT’S IT ABOUT ?
Career counselors assess people’s interests, personalities, values and skills and help them explore career options. The primary purpose of career counseling is to help one learn how to explore and investigate university programmes and occupations to match one’s aptitude. Interest inventories and career tests used by counselors help senior school/college students organize their thoughts and ideas about majors, careers and occupations.
8 am: Review day’s appointments
9 am: Have rapport-building talk with students
10 am: Conduct psychometric testing for the students’ abilities
11 am: Schedule appointments for the counseling session
12 O’clock onwards: Hold counseling sessions
4 pm Onwards: Research; information collecting and updating
5 pm: Call it a day
- Entry level : 12000 to Rs. 15000 pm
- Middle level : Around Rs. 35000 pm
- Senior level (especially if you are self-employed) : Sky is the limit
- The emotional stability and maturity to handle the problems of young people
- A strong interest in helping others, be sensitive and perceptive in assessing people and be able to inspire respect, trust, and confidence
- They should be able to work independently or as part of a team
- They also need to be well informed and constantly update their information
HOW DO I GET THERE ?
You can do your 10+2 with humanities or science and then do your graduation in psychology, followed by a postgraduate diploma in guidance and counseling. Some take up career counseling without a good grounding in psychology but they are not professionally equipped to administer psychometric.
INSTITUTES & URLS
- NCERT runs programmes ncert.nic.in
- University of Mumbai mu.ac.in
- Karnatak University, Dharwad, Karnataka kud.ernet.in
- Punjab University, Chandigarh puchd.ac.in
- TISS, Mumbai, tiss.edu (IGNOU and Annamalai University also offer certificate courses in counseling through correspondence)
PROS AND CONS
- A challenging and fascinating career
- Varied skills and aspirations can lead to a number of job opportunities
- With little investment one can become self-employed
- Love for people more rewarding than love for money
What about an exciting career involving the young guns ??
Learn How to Become a CAREER COUNSELORS